Monday, June 6, 2011

Egg hatching update

We are currently on day 5 out of 21 and I couldn't resist checking on my eggs with no kids around.

I researched the process of candling an egg and rigged up a quick little system.

After setting up in the bathroom (the darkest place in the house), I brought in the eggs one at a time to take a look. I can tell for sure that 4 of them have some development. There are 2 I couldn't tell and the rest I'm pretty sure are duds.

Frankly, I'm thrilled. It doesn't mean all 4 will make it, but how cool would that be?

A pencil check mark is on the 4 good ones, question marks on the potentially bad ones and the 2 uncertain ones, double question marks. I know, it's a really sophisticated system.

I found this video on YouTube. It's not mine but it does give you a good idea of what I saw in the 4 fertile ones.

Now that I'm a little more certain of my own candling skills, I'll try to get some actual photos or a video. I'm going to try again on Day 8. I want to get rid of the potential stink bombs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'd love to hear from you!